- Living paycheck to paycheck
- Overextended in debt
- Upside down on one or more vehicles
- Constantly overdrawing on your bank account
- Too many credit cards
- Creditors calling to collect on overdue bills
- Being behind on your mortgage payments or rent
- Paying late charges
- Investing in risky schemes
- Impulse purchases
- Keeping up with the Joneses
- Retail therapy - shopping/compulsive spending to deal with emotional problems
The internal issues that could be the cause of these symptoms include:
- Lack of financial knowledge
- Lack of a money system or budget
- Lack of planning
- Sloppy accounting practices
- Marriage problems - lack of agreement between husband and wife
- Lack of self-control
- Lack of consistency in behavior
- Time management problems
OK, so what are the solutions to these problems in order to alleviate the symptoms?
- A foundation of Biblical financial wisdom
- A deeper relationship with Almighty God
- Knowledge - books, seminars, small group studies
- Goal setting
- Advanced planning
- A better paying job or more successful business
- Stronger marriage with Godly submission to one another
What resources are available to help people get a handle on their money and the behavior that have led to their financial problems in the first place?
- Financial Peace University - hands down, this is the best small group study for practical knowledge to run your family finances. If you want to beat debt and build wealth from a Godly, Biblical, and practical perspective, you have to attend this class.
- Crown Financial Ministries - Crown has a number of small group studies that give you a Godly, Biblical perspective on your money. Their entire (and correct) premise: it's not your money to begin with. It's God's money that He has blessed you with to manage properly!
- Budget software tools - there are numerous budgeting tools available on-line; just do a quick Google search here. I still use the same Crown Financial Excel spreadsheet that I received from a Crown small group study many years ago.
- Envelope systems - both Dave Ramsey and Crown Financial have cash envelopes systems readily available to help with your budget organization.
- Financial coaches - check out Crown Financial coaches as well as Dave Ramsey's certified financial coaches.
- Books - check out my all-time favorite personal finance books on Amazon.com here.
- Blogs - there are a number of great personal finance blogs. Check out the Christian Personal Finance Blog's list of the Top Christian Blogs.
Post a Comment