Image by eye2eye via FlickrIf you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else. - Yogi Berra
Direction in life is critical if you desire to be used by God for great and mighty things. Most people don't have a clue where they are going. They head off in all directions without taking the time and energy to determine the purpose God has for their life. A life mission statement is a great tool to give your life a roadmap; a sense of direction.
Over the last 15 years, I have created 3-4 personal mission statements. As I have grown and developed in my spiritual, personal, and professional life, I have noticed that my mission has evolved over time due to this growth.
In the last few weeks, I found myself reviewing my current mission statement and realized that it no longer reflected who I had become as a follower of Jesus Christ.
I have created a new mission statement that I believe now reflects the person God has shaped me to be, especially over the last 5 years. My new mission statement reads as follows:
I was created to serve God's people to become proactive in using to their fullest potential possible, their talents, abilities, money, and assets for Kingdom purposes.
Here's a breakdown of why this wording is unique to the calling God has placed my life:
- I was created - my life is not an accident. It did not happen through chance circumstances. God created me with a specific plan and purpose in mind. Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him (Isaiah 43:7).
- to serve - life should be about serving others. There are so many people wandering through life engaged in hedonistic pleasures, without feeling truly fulfilled. If you look at the great leaders of the Bible, whether they be Moses, Joshua, David, Paul, or Jesus himself, they all had a servant's spirit.
- God's People - I feel uniquely called to helping believers go higher in their lives.
- to become - we can all become better in every important area of our lives with God's help.
- proactive - the definition of this word is "acting in advance to deal with an expected change or difficulty." In order to serve God and others in a greater capacity, we must act in advance. Make change happen for you; do not let things simply happen to you.
- in using to their fullest potential possible - we cannot imagine the possibilities we have before us if we will just extend our realm of personal potential.
- their talents, abilities, money, and assets - most people have untapped resources within them or accumulated over time that are just waiting to be released. I have a unique calling in both worship ministry and stewardship where I am encouraging believers to use their musical talents to worship God as well as creating a culture of generosity within the entire church body.
- for Kingdom purposes - our ultimate mission in life should be moving the Kingdom of God forward for the glory and honor of our Lord Jesus Christ. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well (Matthew 6:33).